Connect to api

Topics: Ideas
Aug 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Hi my name is Nathan im the lead developer over at trophiesonpsn.com and we were using http://www.psnapi.com.ar/ to get all psn data for the site but they went down now and im checking out this api. I write in php is there anyway to connect to the api with php and if not how would i set up a generic script start in .net or c#?
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Since you're in PHP already, take a look at http://psnapi.org/?page=forum&forum=4&topic=69

Note that this will not include a good deal of what you're looking for, since psnapi.com.ar appears to have grabbed additional information from elsewhere. (The above won't give you titles, descriptions, images, etcetera.)
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Similarly Nathan I am looking at an alternative to psnapi.com.ar which provides full game details unlike the one at psnapi.org.
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I understand that he does still have a private, for-pay, API available.

I'm trying to find out where more information about that can be found.

For .NET people, I had taken a stab at converting that PHP code over to C# back in December/January. I restarted the project, copying over some of the more solid points, and added a few more methods.

The code is at https://github.com/JamesSkemp/PsnWrapper

It's extremely rough, since I didn't realize that psnapi.com.ar was shutting down until the day after :(
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM
strivinglife, we actually use the psnapi.org psn class on our site and it works great but that's mainly for user info and what not. I need to find a more all inclusive api for all psn games. Even the psnapi.com.ar api wasn't the graeatest since it was missing stuff like esrb, release dates, genres and more. I've resorted to data mining for quite a few of these things but what i've created and the websites im pulling the data for aren't great resources.

I've heard of people out there who are trying to crack the md5 hash set that psn uses but i dont know much about it.
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:25 AM
I'm at the point that I'm going to build something for public consumption, but instead of a costly service, in thinking it'll just be XML files that anyone can download and use and contribute to. That should allow the main API to be used, but then supplemented by the files.

Anyone else interested? I'll probably start on something tomorrow night and this weekend, using what I had from psnapi.com.ar as the starting point.
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Definitely interested in building an api like psnapi.ar. I've used the psnapi.org class in conjunction with psnapi.ar to get data from sony then get precise game and trophy details and need a service which will do this. It's a shame we don't have the code for his website because I don't understand how to use the code you can download here.

Anybody got any ideas???
Aug 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
To answer your second question, in order to work with this particular project we're commenting on you'd need a server that could run this .NET service after it has been built (which you would also need to do). What language are you using?

In regards to an alternative, I unfortunately only have the data for 156 of the games (the ones that I have/play) from the psnapi.com.ar service. It looks like Nathan might have all the games?

@mbrookes, what do you have?

In order to supplement the data we can pull from the quasi-official services we'd need the following information:
  • Game title
  • Game id (NP...)
  • Total trophies (and totals for each type)
  • for each trophy:
  • - Trophy id
  • - Trophy title
  • - Trophy description
  • - Trophy image URL
    • Whether it's hidden
User data, like the number of trophies they've earned, can be pulled from the quasi-official services. Dates the trophies were earned can also be pulled from that. As can platforms the games are on and when the game was last played.

I've started https://github.com/JamesSkemp/PsnTrophies to store the information.

I'll work on creating an XSD for the XML files tonight, as well as get all the games I have in there.

Nathan, it looks like you were looking for additional information. Do you have any of that information currently for the games?

Would anyone be willing to provide a dump of the data they've collected? I'd be more than willing to go through it to create the initial files.

I don't yet know how we'll do new games, though. What springs to mind is the PS3Trophies.org/Xbox360Achievements.org methods of getting lists from users.
Aug 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Ok, does this API not provide these supplementary details because I already have a PHP server using the psn class from psnapi.org?

I have game data (e.g. game image, total trophies) for about 1000 games but only trophy information for 42 games.

I can give data happily and if you need it in a certain format I should be able to do that however my knowledge of .net and C# is little but I can do PHP or a Python script to extract data from my database for you.

Obviously we can add more data by looking at PS3Trophies.org and copying there data but that's going to be a slow process and we'll have no way of knowing if some obscure game has new DLC and more trophies are added.

If I can help in anyway I'd be more than happy to as like yourselves I need an alternative/replacement to psnapi.ar
Aug 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Excellent!

While I wasn't able to get to it last night, this morning I created a first draft of an XML schema.

I also exported the data I had for 156 games.

All of this is on the GitHub page at https://github.com/JamesSkemp/PsnTrophies

@mbrookes, can we connect via email? I'm strivinglife at gmail.com.

Getting a simple dump of what you have in regards to game data, and what you have for trophy information would help determine what we can do with what you have. Then we can determine how comfortable you'd be creating XML files from that.

Nathan, can you provide any data? It seems like you guys should have most of the information that would be needed, just based on looking at your site.
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Update:

We're up to 669 games, and there's 194 more that I need to convert and upload.

Thanks for mbrookes for providing the data he had.

He submitted pull requests on Github, but I had another person send me a database dump with over 600 games that I converted.

I'll be updating https://github.com/JamesSkemp/PsnTrophies in the next week with information on how to use the data to update a user. I've been able to successfully replicate the functionality that I was using psnapi.com.ar for, so with a bit more work, I think you all can as well.
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM
The GitHub XML repo is looking great but we need more data and any out-of-date/incorrect data to be fixed.

Incredibly easy to contribute any information you have.